6 medium Field Tomatoes, core removed, quartered
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1 medium Red Capsicum
1 small Brown Onion, cut into large chunks
3 cloves Garlic, unpeeled
1/4 tsp Chilli Flakes
1 Chorizo, halved and cut into 2mm long slices
350 g Penne/ Spiral Pasta
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup lightly packed Basil Leaves, roughly chopped
|Consistency and look of the roasted tomato sauce. Good stuff!|
- Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan forced). Arrange tomatoes on a foil - lined baking tray, cut side up. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper.
- On a separate foil-lined tray, repeat with the whole capsicum, onion and garlic.
- Place both trays in oven and roast the tomatoes for about 1 hour, or until soft and lightly browned. Roast the capsicum, onion and garlic for 30 minutes until lightly charred and very tender. Transfer the capsicum to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam off skin. Peel and discard skin, stem and seeds.
- Squeeze the flesh from the garlic into a food processor, discarding the skin and add the onion and capsicum. Pulse until chunky. Add the tomatoes and process until combined but still chunky. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook penne according to packet instructions. Drain penne in a colander. Return the pan to medium heat with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Once oil is hot, add chorizo and cook until lightly browned, adding the chilli flakes after 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce to the pan and stir to combine. Add the pasta and toss to coat. Fold in basil and divide evenly among 4 shallow serving bowls. Garnish with shaved parmesan and serve.